My parents have a neighborhood party every summer. It started back before I was born and this year they celebrated the 30year reunion!! WOW! I can still remember the excitement all us kids had about this day. We anticipated it for weeks, and the night before Lampton Days was like Christmas Eve!!
The parents in the neighborhood plan this for months, and when I was a kid... they would never disappoint!
A normal Lampton Days day would go like this
7:30- Flag ceremony at the Christiansens
8:00- Breakfast was usually at the Drapers, now held at the Densley's
9:00ish- Parade!



We would all decorate our bikes and wagons, trucks, dress up whatever, to be in the parade
Noon would usually start the planned games and activities which would include the grease pole with $50 at the top, moon walk, dunking machine, volley ball, root beer chugging, saltine cracker whistle blowing, pie eating, saw dust fishing pond... etc, etc, etc. If you can do it at the fair, we did it at Lampton Days!
We would have an all day long water fight and then get home to get showered and ready for the dinner @ 5. Everyone would bring a potluck item and meet to eat.
After the dinner we would get all freshened up for the dance and fireworks, and that would conclude the night.
Oh man, just typing about it makes me miss it so much as a kid!! Now, all of us kids that have grown and had our own kids, show up with our kids to enjoy the fun. I LOVE THIS TRADITION! I really wanted to start one in our neighborhood, but I don't really want to commit to that much work yet.
Anyway, as you can tell, I love Lampton Days and took Eme this year to the parade. SHE LOVED it... mostly because she was in the parade and was the center of attention. She likes that a lot.
Thank you Lampton parents for putting so much time and effort into Lampton Days!! We will always remember it and all the fun we had!!
A normal Lampton Days day would go like this
7:30- Flag ceremony at the Christiansens
8:00- Breakfast was usually at the Drapers, now held at the Densley's
9:00ish- Parade!
We would all decorate our bikes and wagons, trucks, dress up whatever, to be in the parade
Noon would usually start the planned games and activities which would include the grease pole with $50 at the top, moon walk, dunking machine, volley ball, root beer chugging, saltine cracker whistle blowing, pie eating, saw dust fishing pond... etc, etc, etc. If you can do it at the fair, we did it at Lampton Days!
We would have an all day long water fight and then get home to get showered and ready for the dinner @ 5. Everyone would bring a potluck item and meet to eat.
After the dinner we would get all freshened up for the dance and fireworks, and that would conclude the night.
Oh man, just typing about it makes me miss it so much as a kid!! Now, all of us kids that have grown and had our own kids, show up with our kids to enjoy the fun. I LOVE THIS TRADITION! I really wanted to start one in our neighborhood, but I don't really want to commit to that much work yet.
Anyway, as you can tell, I love Lampton Days and took Eme this year to the parade. SHE LOVED it... mostly because she was in the parade and was the center of attention. She likes that a lot.
Thank you Lampton parents for putting so much time and effort into Lampton Days!! We will always remember it and all the fun we had!!



No comments:
Post a Comment