Sunday, June 15, 2008

Racoons!!

This video is of Kent working on the first racoon of the night. Yes, he is barking up the flue, and no, that is not a real dog barking! This guy totally cracks me up!



So it's kind of a long story, so hopefully I can shorten it down a bit.



The other week, Brady and I were sitting in the family room talking. We heard some ratteling in the chimney, and I assumed it was birds, building a nest! So, after we heard it a couple of times, Brady decided to go up and check out these birds. He got on the roof and looked down the chimney. He couldn't see much, so he got out the flashlight, and this is what he saw!

ok, kind of a bad picture, but if you look really closely, on the left hand side, you will see a dark spot...

So, Brady thinks it's a dog, or some other large animal. I have not seen it at this point, and kind of chuckled about the description. But when Kent gets home, him and Brady get on the roof to check this thing out. Kent confirms that it is a LARGE animal, and comes up with the idea to lower the drop light down, and maybe chase it out of the chimney. Ann and I are in the family room listening to the activity, and all the sudden we hear some animal go flying up the chimney, and Brady and Kent hauling to the side of the house. HILLARIOUS!! (i'm laughing right now just remembering it) I guess Kent goosed the animal with the drop light, and he didn't appreciate it. The animal only made it half way up the chimney so it was about another 45 minutes worth of work to get him fully out of the chimney. That's the part you see in the video.

So, as soon as he is out, they check the other hole in the chimney. And to thier surprise, there is another racoon!!! This chimney is for the wood burning stove in the basement. They had to take the flue off of the wall in the basement and try to chase this one up that way. After about 30 minutes of trying, that racoon was out! We don't know where they are now, so if you live close by us, then maybe they ran to your chimney!! We have capped off the chimney holes, so hopefully we are coon free!

6 comments:

Laura Jansson said...

All I can say is: HILARIOUS!

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting that! It is awesome to see Kent barking up the chimney. Oh, and about your last post, you have the perfect size baby. It is funny when babies are like 20% height and 80% weight, or vice versa, but Emi is just well-rounded I guess you could say!

The Jones Family said...

Oh my gosh, that made my day! :) SOOOO funny! Good work guys for getting them out!

Andi said...

I love the video...it sounds just like a real dog!! Very funny!

Heather said...

HOW FUNNY....I wonder how long he'd been there?

Sarah D said...

That is crazy! I would have freaked out! So funny! We totally want to go out so just let us know when you are available! If you want we could do a BBQ. Whatev! Can't wait to see you guys!